Friday, April 3, 2020

Chapter Forty-Nine: In Which I Impersonate the Golden Speedster and Attend a Hero's Guild Meeting

Chapter Forty-Nine


In Which I Impersonate the Golden Speedster and Attend a Hero’s Guild Meeting



Clarity pulled some sort of trick and changed the color of my suit from deep black to golden, just like Will’s suit.  The only thing I didn’t know for sure, was if the Hero’s Guild members kept their masks on or not in their meetings.

This was, of course, at the height of the Guild.  Platinum Man was still alive.  Zorro still sane, more or less.  Will still a member.

I had sent Will on a wild goose chase in another universe, Earth 217, if I recall correctly.  Psychonaut was impersonating me to lead him away, while I impersonated Will.  The Secret Society of Supervillains needed some intel that could only be acquired from the inside.  This information was crucial to The Plan.

I was uneasy walking into Guild Hall, in Washington, D.C., but I tried not to look it.  I walked with a confident gait, held my head straight.  I tried to walk like Will would walk.  Then I threw in a burst of speed, just to be as convincing as possible.  Everyone else was already seated in the conference room.

“You’re late,” complained Eco-Man.

“As usual,” added Platinum Man.

Good.  They were wearing their masks.

“Sorry,” I said.

It was weird.  I don’t know how but Clarity did something to my voice.  I sounded just like Will.

“Sit down,” commanded Zorro impatiently.  “Let’s get started.  I need to get back to Chicago.  The Prankster’s planning something big.

“Have some faith in your sidekick,” suggested Platinum Man.  “I’m sure Wonder Boy can handle whatever the Prankster is up to.”

I thought the dark vigilante was going to go over and smack the alien in the face.

I sat down.

Oh shit, I just remembered something else important that I must tell you about.  I’ll come back to this scene; I promise.




(c) Copyright 2020 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment