Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Chapter Eight: My 8th Encounter with the Golden Speedster


Chapter Eight

My Eighth Encounter with the Golden Speedster





His real name is Will Simms.  If you get to find out my secret identity, you get to find out his too.  So, there it is.  Will Simms is the Golden Speedster.  Such a tool.  He never knew that he was only ever a puppet; his strings, pulled, and he danced.  Manipulated by powers he didn’t even know existed.  Now, I do feel a lot of sympathy for the guy.  He never had a chance.  But, back then, on that morning in May in Philadelphia, I hated him.

Hatred is a weird thing.  It drives a person to do insane things.  It drives people to murder, and a society to fascism and destruction.  It’s a big problem.  But on this morning, as I ran straight up the side of the Comcast Center Building, chasing that golden fucker, I hated him with all my soul.  I had him on the run this time, and he knew it.

We ran all over the city.  I don’t know if the people of Philadelphia were getting used to our epic battles or not.  One minute they were all busy going about their business, and the next everything shook, and an electrical storm took hold of their city, springing up instantaneously, with incessant sonic booms punctuating our clash.  Why did people even stay in that city?  I mean the devastation that we dished out in our battles was significant.  Very significant.  But, you know, where would they go?  Platinum Man and his enemies were even worse in the Big Apple.  Chicago had Zorro and the Prankster, and that whole rogue’s gallery.  Most cities had their heroes and villains fighting, turning the lives of their citizens on their heads at unexpected times.  It had become just another fact of modern life.

Not that the Golden Speedster and I didn’t have battles that covered the whole East Coast, of course, sometimes, the world; but Will lived in Philly, and I was always going there to fuck with him.  That was the gig.

On Broad Street, I threw a SEPTA bus at him.  He had to save those people.  Or try to.  While he attempted to do so, I hit him with so many punches he puked so hard and fast his vomit took out a trash truck.  He went down.  The bus crashed into City Hall, and man, was there a boom.  The papers said I had killed 43 people in an instant.  I was a murderer.  The was some considerable mystery later about how most of those people, some of whom had been in morgues, got on that particular bus, and how it was that the driver and 12 people who claimed to have been on that bus ended up in a diner in Conshohocken.





(c) Copyright 2019 Diana Hignutt

2 comments: