Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Chapter Sixty-Two: So, You Run

Chapter Sixty-Two

 

So, You Run

 

Sometimes you lose track of everything.  Of where you are in the story of your life.  It’s a weird feeling.  Somewhere between that Talking Heads song with it, “This is not my beautiful wife,” and Peter Gabriel’s “I walked right out of the machinery, my head going boom, boom, boom.”  You know what I mean?  Well, that’s where I was… nowhere.  An emptiness of being.  Sometimes you could just lose yourself in the Velocity Field, and nothing else mattered.  Like popping into the corner bar for a quick beer and a sandwich before getting that project done and staggering in at two in the morning, but without the hangover.

And sometimes you want to lose track of everything.  So, you run.  You run. And you run.  And the emptiness consumes you, and nothing fucking matters anymore.  All those moments you spent trying to smoke weed for those nanoseconds of peace, pale to the exhilarating freedom of the emptiness. The lightness of being.

I am the fucking Velocity Field.  Free. Pure Thought.  Timeless and eternal.

And then I wasn’t.  I was Alex Donkers, AKA Dr. Velocity, AKA the Dark Runner.

And all my problems came crashing back.  They always do.





(c) Copyright 2020 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment