Monday, February 3, 2020

Chapter Twenty-Nine: My Second Encounter with the Golden Speedster (His First)


Chapter Twenty-Nine

My Second Encounter with the Golden Speedster (His First)



Will was on patrol, dashing down the streets of Philly at hyperkinetic speeds, in the early twilight of s winter’s evening.  I knew he would be there.  It was time we met.  That is to say, it was time for him to learn of my existence.  I figured we’d start him out easy, with just a mysterious appearance in his city.

Making the right sort of entrance is important is a case like this, where one was meeting their arch-rival for the first time.

At this point in the story, Will is not aware that other speedsters exist yet.  So, I was going to be a big surprise for him.  Heck, he had only been operating as the Golden Speedster for a few months.

I ran up the side of the PFSF Building and watched the lightning trail behind Will as he completed a grid pattern through the city.  It looked like he was looking for someone or something.

“Clarity?  Do we have idea of what Golden boy is up to?”

 “Based on historical data, it seems the Golden Speedster is searching for any sign of Lieutenant Chill, his first actual supervillain rival,” came the pleasant voice that always answered my questions.

“Do we have any idea where this Chill fellow is?” I asked.

“Actually, he is at this moment, at the Irish pub on South Street.”

“Cool.”

So, I dashed over to South Street, grabbed Lieutenant Chill is his street clothes from the bar, and dropped him right in front of Will.  Chill had fainted.

Will stopped immediately, hesitant and confused.

“Who?”

“Hey, bud,” I responded.  “I heard you were looking for this guy, so I thought I would do you a solid on our first meeting.”

“Why are you dressed just like me, except in black?”

“Honestly, I can’t really pull off gold, bud.”

“Are you a speedster too?”

This guy was so naïve.  He had so much to learn.

“My friend, I am the fastest speedster.  Anyway, I gotta dash.  It’s nice to meet you, Will.”

“How do you know my name?”

“Your name.  Shit, I know everything about you.  I know your address.  Where you work.  I know about your friends at Red Dwarf Labs.  I know where your girlfriend lives.  I know your social security number, bud.”

“Who are you?”

“You’ll see.”

Then I took off like a bat out of hell.  Will tried to follow me, but in two tenths of a second, I had lost him.  He was so slow this early in his career.  It was kind of sad.





(c) Copyright 2020 by Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment