Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Chapter Thirteen: My Gaslit Timeline


Chapter Thirteen

My Gaslit Timeline




“Okay, Clarity,” I said.  “I’m curious.  I guess I want to know.  What’s up with me being the Dark Runner?  Why do I hate the Golden Speedster?”

I had to put my suit on to talk to Clarity, as she was the built into the communication system.  I felt ridiculous, like I was wearing a Halloween costume.

“I would prefer to let your memories return on issues of motivation, Alex,” the AI voice answered.  “As for your history, I can give you an outline of events.

“You got your powers in the year 2046, through means unknown, though most likely some sort  of Velocity Field exposure from a multiversal fracture vortex, an extremely rare hypothetical event.  After mastering your powers which include:  speed many times the speed of light and all that implies, the ability to phase through objects,  super healing, the ability to travel through time, the ability to travel to parallel universes, the ability to throw lightning bolts, hyperkinetic punches, create whirlwinds and tornadoes with your arms, and speed reading.”

“Wait,” I said.  “You’re putting me on, right?”

“No, Alex, the extent of your powers are well documented.  You’ll remember everything soon enough.  As you heal, your abilities will return, and you will see that everything I am telling you is correct.”

“If I have super healing, why did it take me weeks to be able to move off of the couch?”

“The way the Velocity Field interacts with you is unknown, Alex.  On occasion you have had various effects from those interactions.  Based on your current healing rate you will be completely recovered from this one in another week.  As I told you the last time, your memories will return at that time.  You must wait for the process to complete.”

“Okay, so somehow I got superpowers.  What kind of asshole rushes off and becomes a supervillain?”

“You are a hero, Alex,” Clarity quickly corrected me.

“But, you said, the last time we talked that I was a founder of the Secret Society of Supervillains?”

“That is correct.  The issue is one of perspective.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You will, Alex.”




Copyright 2019 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment