Monday, January 13, 2020

Chapter Twenty-Two: The Invitation


Chapter Twenty-Two

An Invitation



Jill came home from the auto parts store carrying in the mail.  Dressed in her black uniform clothes and black hoodie, she looked like a Sith lord delivering the mail.

“Okay, that’s weird.  Alex, you got a letter.  Who the hell knows you’re staying here?”

I was surprised, as no one in the world could have possibly known of my whereabouts.  But, as Jill handed me the letter, there was no denying the fact it was addressed to me, Alex Donkers, with the apartment’s address, all spelled out in neat computer-generated characters.

“Huh.”  I said.  “I have no idea who could have sent me this.”

“Well, open it up and find out,” suggested Jackie.

“Yeah, yeah,” agreed Jill.

So, I tore the letter open and read:


“My dear Doctor Velocity,

How do you do?  My name is Admiral Nemo.  You may have heard of me. You may not have.  I do try to keep a low profile.  I would like to meet with you in person, as I have a proposition that could make us both very rich and very powerful.  I shall give you a couple of weeks to think this over and then I will be in touch again.

Sincerely,

Admiral Nemo”



“Wait,” said Jill.  “Didn’t you work with that guy already?  You were both in the Secret Society of Supervillains together?”

“You know I don’t remember, Jill.” I answered.

There was only one way Nemo could have found where I was staying, but I wasn’t thinking clearly enough to figure it out yet.  Time travel makes everything more confusing.



(c) Copyright 2020 by Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment