Sunday, January 26, 2020

Chapter Twenty-Six: In Retrospect, I Think This Was a Test


Chapter Twenty-Six

In Retrospect, I Think This Was a Test



Aton Mirsk was in his mechanical super suit, beating the fuck out of Platinum Man, while the Prankster and I watched.  Hydraulically enhanced punches connected with deafening thuds against the alien’s face and head.  The Russian was clearly enjoying himself.  The superhero, less so.  Apparently, utilizing some sort of simulated radiation source from the alien’s home planet, Mirsk had found a way around the Tomorrow Man’s famed invulnerability.  I could feel myself wince with every blow.  I had nothing against the boy scout from space, personally, though Mirsk certainly seemed to.

The Prankster leaned over to me, and quietly whispered, “How much do you think that suit cost him?”

I tried to imagine what sort of expression he had under his mask.  It was hard though with that creepy evil, fanged smile face staring at me.  He was one hard to read dude.

Blood was flying everywhere with every blow of the xenophobe’s mechanical punches.

“Like a billion dollars, at least probably,” my mysterious and evil associate continued with an evil murmur.  “Like the R&D money on that synthetic alien radiation just staggers the imagination.”

It was all too surreal to me.  I wanted to vomit.  I was glad no one could see my face behind my mask.

Mirsk was absolutely gleeful, pounding the superhero far beyond submission.  He began laughing like a fucking maniac.

“Die!  Platinum Man, die!” He screamed.  "You should have gone back where you fucking came from when you had the chance."

The Prankster looked over at me.  I didn’t know if he was concerned or delighted.  I just couldn’t read that guy.  Maybe, he was just examining my reaction, to see exactly how far I was willing to go on the tolerance of violence scale so he could use it against me later.  That guy never missed a trick.  So, yeah, I think it was test for me, and a chance for Mirsk to get some vengeance on his alien nemesis.  All of Admiral Nemo's plans achieved multiple objectives.

What happened next came as a surprise to all of us.  It was once of those events that you knew would change you forever.  Nothing would ever be the same again.  You might still drink a cup of coffee and read the paper every morning, but you're not the same guy.  You couldn't possibly be.




(c) Copyright 2020 by Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment