Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Origin of My Speed

Chapter Thirty-Eight

The Origin of My Speed



Like the lady said, “I was born this way.”

I didn’t know it at the time, though.

Just exactly like the other guy, at the age of 24, I was struck by lightning.  I was on the beach, just in the surf, in Ocean City, Maryland, paying no attention to the darkening skies and the frantic whistles of the lifeguards.  I didn’t notice the absence of the seagulls, or the smell of ozone the suddenly permeated the air.  I didn’t notice that everything froze, the crowd running for cover on the beach, the churning black clouds, the great flash of light that was exploding all around and through me.

It wasn’t the lightning, though.  There was something about my DNA, something different, some impossibly rare aberration that was somehow activated and instantly connected me to the Velocity Field.  Clarity can explain it better than I can, of course.

But the lightning kicked that shit into gear.

Lifeguards pulled me out of the Atlantic, and CPRed me back from the void of death that I never noticed.

I was born anew.  Alive with the power of speed.  




(c) Copyright 2020 by Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment