Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Chapter Eighteen: The Day My Powers Returned


Chapter Eighteen

The Day My Powers Returned



We were eating pizza, Jill and Jackie on the couch and me on a folding chair, watching That 70s Show on the TV.  It was, incidentally, the last time we got food delivered.  The bong was loaded with a hit and ready.  Beer cans were scattered about the coffee table, circling a deck of Tarot cards and the ashtray.

I took a big bite of my pie and a slice of pepperoni fell from the drooping cheese towards the floor.
Everything froze.  I looked around me.  Jackie and Jill didn’t move.  The TV was frozen static.  The pepperoni was hovering in the air just below the pizza from whence it originated.  I grabbed it.  Tossed it back into my mouth.  Finished the pizza.  Ran to the fridge and grabbed a beer and downed it.  And another.  Ran to my childhood home outside of Baltimore.  Ran back.  Ran to Barcelona.  Ran back.

That was the first nanosecond.  The feeling of joy was boundless inside of me.  I thought being able to walk again was an amazing feeling.  It was nothing compared to this.  Compared to the speed.  I was enveloped by the Velocity Field.  It was like coming home again.

It was all so natural and perfect.  Clarity was right.  My powers had returned.  I still didn’t remember anything though, which was disappointing.




(c) Copyright 2019 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment